COURSE & MAPS
A hardcopy map is part of the Mandatory Gear.
Purchase the latest Bogong Alpine Area – Spatial Vision Map from the Bogong store.
Purchase the Mansfield – Mt. Howitt Adventure Map, made from plastic paper, by Feather Top Maps, with a great course layout shown.
Purchase Rooftop Maps Bright – Dartmouth Adventure Map made from plasticised paper. This map has a great detailed version of the course. It is available from most good map stores and Aussie Disposals.
- From Mountain Creek Campground, follow the 4WD track for 2km and turn right up the Staircase Spur track.
- Follow the track up past Bivouac Hut, beyond the tree-line and towards the summit.
- Detour to the cairn on Mt. Bogong Summit, then follow the numbered poles (from 1278) back to the north along the ridge.
- The track swings east past Cleve Cole Hut, and down Camp Creek valley to pole 1150.
- The track then turns right at Madison\’s Hut site (be careful here: the turn-off is across the creek and has often been missed by walkers and runners)
- Head south down T Spur then cross Big River at the chain.
- Turn right along opposite bank for about 30m and follow the steep track to the left going up the hill. Climb Duane Spur south to rejoin snow poles at pole 942. At the top of the climb is the newly rebuilt Roper\’s Hut which was destroyed by fire in 2003.
- Continue up the rough trail following the poles, then veer left and pick up the 4WD track, and follow the poles past Mt. Nelse, to Warby Corner.
- Continue on past Hollands Knob to Big River Fire Track/Marum Point Track Intersection at Pole 740. Leave the road and follow the poles to the left (part of the Australian Alps Walking Track) at pole 661 to Langford East Aqueduct.
- Cross Bridge Turn right along the Aqueduct to Langford Gap aid station.
- From Langford Gap, continue along the West Langford Aqueduct passing the turnoff to Wallace Hut. Shortly after passing the Rover Hut you arrive at a T-intersection. Turn right and pass Cope Hut, arriving at the Omeo Rd aid station, then cross the Bogong High Plains Road at pole 532 (formerly know as Omeo Rd Crossing).
- The Alpine Track pole line exits from the Aqueduct Junction on the same side, but opposite direction to the S.E.C. hut.
- From there, the pole line runs west and then north west to Pole 333 which is north of Mt. Jim.
- Turn left at pole 333 and head south to a junction at Pole 267.
- Turn right and follow the pole line, descending past Basalt Temple to Cobungra Gap (Dibbin\’s Divide). From here, take track left down to Cobungra River and Dibbin\’s Hut.
- Follow poles and track up to Swindler\’s Spur, past Derrick Hut.
- Continue along the track north-west to the track junction at pole 60. Turn left (west) and follow track to Mt Loch Car Park.
- Cross the road and follow the poles opposite the carpark straight up the hill toward the ski lift and radio towers, turn right and follow the poles to the Mt Hotham Summit.
We choose sponsors and partners because we believe in their products. We are confident you will be satisfied as you check them out and support them. If you have a product you would like to share with our running community, please contact us for a chat. We'd love to hear from you.